I am participating in the SITS Get Back to Blogging Event as described on my Monday post . Today our assignment was to select a post of which we are proud, explain our reasons, and repost it.
I selected the post I wrote in August of 2009 on my 65th birthday. I'm proud of it, because I decided that instead of getting depressed or in a funk about turning 65, I would treat the day with humor. (Actually, when you consider the alternative to turning 65, what choice do we have?) Also, I think I did a pretty good imitation of Dave Letterman's Top Ten. Here it is:
My Top Ten Reasons to Celebrate Turning 65
Just having a little birthday celebration here... releasing a few baloons in honor of this landmark day.
Having watched David Letterman frequently, I thought I would write the top ten reasons to clelebrate turning 65:
10. I am now eligible for senior discounts at Dunkin’ Donuts, McDonald’s, and Kentucky Fried Chicken.
9. I’ve probably been there, done that—I just don’t remember it.
8. Anything I buy from here on probably won’t have time to wear out.
7. I now qualify for Obama’s Cash for Clunkers Program.
6. I could take up smoking and it probably would not have time to hurt me.
5. I no longer have to provide ID in order to by booze at the supermarket or liquor store.
4. I’m still young at heart, though slightly older in other places.
3. I now have an excuse to speed; I have to hurry or I’ll forget where I was going.
2. It will be much harder now for those sexual harassment charges to stick.
AND, the number one reason to celebrate turning 65: